Recounts and Personal Narratives can often be a dry and dreaded writing task for teachers and students as far too often we recount menial and boring events such as what happened over the weekend.
These fifteen personal narrative topics / or recount prompts will encourage your students to think deeply and provide an opportunity to learn more about themselves and each other.
PERSONAL NARRATIVE TOPICS FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
- Looking back on our childhood, we often refer to key events that significantly impacted us. Tell about one of those deﬁning events from your childhood.
- It has been said that parents are our ﬁrst and most important teachers. Describe a time when you learned a valuable lesson from one of your parents.
- Recount a time when you found yourself in a perilous situation. Tell the story of how you got into that situation and how you survived it.
- Far too often, we take nature for granted. Describe an experience that made you appreciate our natural world.
- We have all heard the saying, “You should never judge another person until you walk in his or her shoes.” Tell about an experience that enabled you to understand another person better.
- We all possess phobias and things we are afraid of, and sometimes we find ourselves in situations that force us to face our deepest fears. Tell about a time when you had to face one of your greatest fears.
- Sometimes something negative turns out to be positive—a “blessing in disguise.” Describe a time in your life when something bad was good.
- We often put people we admire so highly on a pedestal that we forget they’re human. Describe a time when you realized that someone you admired was imperfect.
- Have you ever forgotten something of extreme importance? Tell about your experience.
- Sports are a big part of some people’s lives, either as spectators or participants. Describe a memorable sporting event.
- Describe a time when you performed or witnessed a random act of kindness.
- Describe a time when you witnessed something unbelievable.
- Some unexpected experiences can help us mature from children into young adults. Describe one of those key experiences in your life.
- It is an amazing experience when we create something beautiful. Tell about a time when you created something.
- Rich experiences can take place when we travel. Tell about a memorable experience you had when you were traveling.
IIf you are looking for an incredible free resource for teaching how to write recounts, be sure to check out innovativeteachingideas.com It has complete guides to teaching all major styles of writing.